Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Is it possible to just sit back and enjoy being engaged?

What would a male cupcake be?
A muffin?
Is it politically correct for a cupcake to marry a muffin?
A cupcake isnt very manly..
I dont care what politics says, this cupcake is marrying a muffin..

In the past two weeks I have pondered to myself, is it possible to just sit back and be engaged?
I recall at the start of our relationship, Muffin mentioned something about getting engaged, freaked me out a little bit and I responded with "It would engagement"

Almost a year later, I ask myself, do people have a long engagement so they can sit back and enjoy being engaged?
I dont quite understand it.
An engagement is to marriage what baking is to cakes.
It is the time you mix the batter together, pour it into the tin and stick it in the other, the end result when the timer goes off (Or in my case, my nose tells me that it's cooked) is a dream wedding and a happy marriage.
Which leads my back to my original question, why do people feel the need to leave their cake in the oven for longer then other cakes?
Why do people feel the need to have a long engagement in this day and age.

By this day and age I mean that it is more common for a couple to live together before they marry, it is common for a couple to have children, animals and joint bank accounts before they share a name.
If you live with your signifcant other, share your life with him, or her, whichever is your preference, then why make half a decision.
Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that people who live together HAVE to get married, I am saying why, when you already share so much, get engaged and not get married?
People get engaged to get married. In my mind the engagement period is just another name for wedding planning period.
If you get engaged without getting married, it is like you are sitting on top of the razor wire fence but cant decide whether or not to trespass on government territory.


Which brings me back to the wedding of the Cupcake and the Muffin.
It is currently July, the wedding is the beginning of November next year.
That gives us a good 15 and a half months for our cake to be made and baked.
This, I believe, is a good period to be engaged. It gives the Cupcake ample time to pull out all the stops and create the perfect wedding for herse- the two of us.
And should, on top of the planning time, give us a chance to sit back and enjoy being together in all of our sickenly sweetness. Or old married coupleness, which is probably a more accurate description.
Should being the operative word in that sentence..
Two weekds, one day, 9 hours, 47 minutes.
In my experience, it doesnt..

1 comment:

  1. Well in the case of JD and HG there may be a long engaement period. It all depends on what JD and HG are doing with their respective lives.
    They would enjoy that "no one else can have you" part of being engaged, kind of like reserving a book at the library, but they may not have time to get married.
    They both have busy busy lives and would like that commitment, but weddings cost money and time. Which neither of them have in abundance really.

    So whilst I agree with your sentiments in that situation, in a different situation it may not be feasable.
    yeah =D

    ReplyDelete